About Me

My photo
A girl who rose from the ashes...and now is trying to make sense of this complicated world through her writing.

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Searching for My Inner Kenny Rogers

I've been told - quite a few times in my life, mind you - that I don't have a poker face.  Truthfully, if someone is annoying me, everyone in the general vicinity will probably know it.  This does not fare well with my position of great responsibility.  It would be best if I could always be the consummate diplomat. It would be ideal if no one ever suspected my feelings of wanting to put hot pennies in my eyes because I am so blasted bothered.  It would be wonderful if I could always be perfectly wonderful. But....I can't.

So I am working hard to dig deep.  I need to work on this, and today I just pointed out to someone else who I love and respect very much that they could stand to work on their poker face, too.  I'm thinking that maybe we could work on it together.  We could hold up pictures of people, places and things that send us reeling and practice not having a reaction.  ("Look - it's a picture of someone eating baby carrots in a meeting - go!")  We could grade one another on our poker face performances and give honest, unrelenting feedback. We could keep working at it until we get it right.

Because right now, truth be told, I feel like my inner Kenny Rogers is buried deep.  I know he's in there, I just have to find him and nurture him and get him to the surface where he can see the light of day. Because Kenny?  Kenny knew what was up for real.

He knew when to hold 'em.

He knew when to fold 'em.

He knew when to walk away.

He knew when to run.

Word on the street is he also didn't count his money when he was sittin' at the table.

So you see, Kenny was one cool cat.  Kenny had it all figure out.  I could stand to be a lot more like him.  I'm going to keep searching for my inner Kenny Rogers until I find him.  I'll let you know when that happens.

No comments: